June 20, 2008

Yard Progress

Kassie decided to let me post stuff on here as long as it wasn't lame, nerdy, or weird - I'm sure with my posting debut I'll manage all three.

We are hoping to finally finish our backyard (3 years later) so Hayden doesn't have to play in the dirt/rocks/weeds. So I guess I'll be in charge of updating our yard progress (this is the lame part). Here is what we started with:


This is what I would like to end up with:



I've been playing around with a couple of new software programs, Sketchup and Autodesk Impressions (this is where it's going to get nerdy). Sketchup is a free program from Google, it's fun to do quick 3D modeling. Autodesk Impressions is a program that lets you take your boring CAD drawings and give them a hand-rendered look. Cool huh? (Kassie is rolling her eyes now as she is reading this). These pictures help to visualize what I want to accomplish - Kassie's very skeptical of my vision - she'll be impressed if I can just get something green to grow back there.

Last week we had someone come trench and grade our yard and this week I've been working on getting the sprinklers in. The sprinkler installation probably took a total of 3 hours - the other 40 hours were spent digging trenches where the trencher couldn't fit and trying to break through under our sidewalk. As you can see we won't have any shortage of landscape rocks.



Hayden has been very helpful - he filled in the trenches (sometimes ahead of schedule), organized sprinkler parts (I found a few in his bed), and moved rocks (most in the direction of where the cats happen to be sitting).

So this is where we are at now:
Look for updates (hopefull in the near future). Next step: top soil and sod.

8 comments:

Melinda said...

Nice post Jon:) And Kassie thanks for inviting me to go swimming yesterday, it was so much fun! Also can you get on my blog now??

Ashley said...

I'm impressed Jon! You've only had a blog for a little while and you are already posting! Way to go! Who knew you could do that on google? Baby Addyson is beautiful! I already told you that, but her lips are serioulsy amazing! Angelina Jolie(ish).

Erika said...

I don't think it is nerdy at all, Jon. I'm super impressed. When we have a house/yard will you help landscape?

Hess Fam said...

Jon I telol matt to post all of the time, the one post he did was a pic of him and a big fish that he caught with no commentary just a pic!! so good job! As far as your yard goes we are so mad that you didn't call us to trench it for you!!! We owe you big time when it comes to the yard department. Also, matt was very upset that you decided to go to the reunion, he felt that you were a trader because he thought for sure that you would attend his own personal one, but I am glad because I think you were the tipping point for his decison to go, so nice work!! And I can't wait to sit with Kassie and eat yummy food and laugh at all of you fools!! PS thanks for inviting me to go swimming Kass!!!! J/k but we need to get together!

Natalie Carver said...

That is so cool! My hubby Tony would totally understand all that computer talk you just did! LOL
I can't wait for the updates, have fun!

Kassie said...

Hun,
you are nerdy but that is why I love you! Thanks for working so hard on our yard!

Unknown said...

I'm having a hard time making out the hot tub/swimming pool.

Evan and Amanda Tolman said...

Jon I'm muy impressed. I would like MORE nerdy, lame weirdness. Please. But that looks AWESOME!